‘My legs never tan as much as the rest of my body.’
‘How can I achieve a natural dark colour on my legs?’
‘Spray tan, fake tan lotions and gradual tanning products do not deliver satisfying results as I never get that uniform flawless brown colour.’
‘Can I tan my legs without tanning the rest of my body?’
Those are concerns and questions of several people regarding their common problem of not getting a golden brown colour on their legs. No matter how much time you spend under the sun or in a sunbed, it seems almost impossible to tan you legs. And if you manage to get a tan, that tan hardly can match the tan on the rest of the body. Have you ever wondered why legs are hard to tan? Read further to find the main reasons why:
Why Legs don’t tan as much as the rest of the body?
- Melanin is the number one contributing factor of the whole tanning process. The activation and production of melanin is responsible for skin pigmentation and the dark colour on your skin. Compared to the rest of the body, skin on the legs does not produce the same amount of melanin, which results in legs getting less tan.
- Skin on the legs is thicker and harder and the UV light from the sun or sunbeds cannot easily penetrate it. The skin is also dryer, resulting in quicker exfoliation of the outermost layers. What is more, dry skin usually reflects the UV light, making the whole tanning process less effective.
- For women, the process of tanning their legs is more difficult, since they shave or wax frequently. In this way, they exfoliate the top layers of their already tanned skin.
- In conventional sunbeds most of the tanning energy (up to 20%) is concentrated to the middle and the top of the body and that is why most of the sunbeds’ users claim that their torso tans better compared to the face and mainly their legs. What is more, in that area blood flow is increased, because of the existence of the different organs. The increased blood flow aids and accelerates the tanning process.
- Advanced technology in most of the sunbeds incorporates special UV lamps for the face and the shoulders but not for the legs.
However people should not lose their faith and give up on their efforts for the desirable sun-kissed colour. Legs are hard to tan but the solution is here. These are some top tanning tips to make sure that you will get a long lasting tan on your legs.
Get a Darker Tan on the Legs with these useful tanning tips:
- Exfoliate the skin on your legs. Exfoliation is a must before each tanning session. It results in removing any dry dead skin that could block the UV light and leaves the skin clean and soft.
- Avoid waxing and shaving. Always leave at least 1 or 2 days after each tanning session. If you try to wax or shave your legs right after the session, you will end up removing the top layers of your dark skin.
- Keep your skin’s moisture. The skin on your legs is dryer so keeping it moisturised both before and after tanning will assist in making the most of the tanning session. A smooth, hydrated and soft skin assists the UV light to be absorbed and intensify the process of melanin production.
- Use Tansun Just Legs, Tansun Leisure’s ultra vertical leg tanning solution. Tansun Just Legs is a stylish yet powerful tanning unit specially designed for the legs. It can be used additionally to any sunbed session and it is fitted as standard with a reflector for even 360 ° tanning results. Get now a long lasting bronze colour and a silky touch on your legs. Learn more about Tansun Just Legs.
- Apply Sunbed Creams and Tanning Accelerators. Sunbed creams offer a variety of benefits and make the whole tanning process more effective. Tansun Leisure offers a wide range of the top rated sunbed creams and accelerators for faster and better tanning results. Discover the benefits and features of the best tan accelerators, moisturisers, dark bronzing lotions as well as tanning supplements. Pro Tan, the top sunbed creams manufacturer, has launched a new product, specially designed for your legs. The Luscious Legs is an ultra-dark DHA bronzer that guarantees perfect, smooth and evenly tanned legs. Find more at Tansun’s Sunbed Creams brochure.
If you want to learn more on how to get a darker and long lasting tan read our article 6 Top Tanning Tips for Getting a Darker and Long-lasting Tan.
It is time for you and your legs to glow!